5/30/20: occasional notes, v3: not with a bang

One day the bird just stopped flying up and kicking at the window. That he gave up his workout routine just as my dad returned from Florida did me no favors in the credibility department but fortunately I am lazy and the swath of smudges left everywhere by the bird’s dumb little feet were still in full view, lending more credence to my claims. Plus, I have video. A lot of video.

It’s bird central up here, which is kind of heaven for me. There’s a piliated woodpecker who comes around and bangs his face into things on the regular. I’ve seen a belted kingfisher—his HEAD!—and there is a (several?) Great Blue Heron who stalks around majestically. One day the (a?) heron landed on a nearby dock with a foot-long pickerel in his beak and I almost broke my neck running for my phone to document that one. When I showed the pictures to my dad, he said, Oh, yeah, he’s a good fisher and then went back to reading the paper, I can never tell when he’s going to pretend he doesn’t believe me.

Have you ever seen a belted kingfisher? I went to high school with a guy named Zack who was on the swim team and the soccer team and used a lot of product in his hair (it was the 90s)—a belted kingfisher is the bird embodiment of high school Zack.

(Also, the Great Blue Heron grows his own washcloth and if you have an hour or three I cannot recommend allaboutbirds.org highly enough.)

It’s been two months since I left the city. After six weeks and one day I gave John a giant hug and released him into the arms of his friend Karen, who literally thanked me for taking care of him when I dropped him off, John is perfectly capable of taking care of himself (I think) but he does inspire a certain motherly instinct. He’s off on a tour de friends, spreading his sunshine around, and now I make the coffee myself. My dad and his partner say they are glad to have me stay on and no one has complained about the little factory I have downstairs, fabric everywhere and pieces of thread following me around. I have my workstation set up where I can look out on the lake all day and I feel a terrible guilt, a throbbing dullness, for how entirely not awful things have been.

A duck has laid nine eggs in a feathery little nest deep in a thriving bank of hostas alongside the house and one day I was trying to get the neighbor to peek at the nest. The duck’s not there, I kept saying, not that plant, the one to the right, and just as this nice, friendly neighbor peeled back the correct hosta, guess what it turns out the duck WAS there and holy shit out a duck erupting into your face from eight inches away is only funny when it’s not your face.

A couple of weeks later we had terrible/wonderful thunderstorms all night and the next morning I went to check on the nest.

My father came downstairs a little while later and when I heard him, I yelled from the bathroom: “Dad, I need your help!”

“Okay,” he said, and while I don’t know exactly what he was expecting it probably wasn’t me hunched over in the darkness, a flashlight in one hand and a duck egg clutched in the other.

After much fruitless flashlight-peering at the egg and consultation with the internet, my father finally convinced me to put the egg back in the nest. I think I should have kept it and incubated it myself, but I was overruled. I am also aware that by handling the egg at this stage (the duck has been nesting for at least three weeks) if the chick wasn’t dead already it probably is now, which is not an awesome feeling but at the same time…well, while the internet blithely promised I probably had everything I needed just lying around the house, we do not actually have any Styrofoam coolers, so I’m back to setting up my lawn chair where I can stare at the hostas and wait for something else to happen.

I’m talking to a moving company about packing up my apartment and moving everything into a storage facility. I’ve lived in New York City for almost fifteen years and the thought of not living there used to be unimaginable but that New York, the one I dreamed of and then finally got to experience—well, it’s gone, isn’t it? Or at least on hold?

Everyone has their own version of NYC; mine involves a lot of bars and other places where people gather in tremendous, pressing crowds—the D train to/from Yankee Stadium, the chattering glow of the lobby of Avery Fisher Hall, the snaking lines for the ladies room at intermission, choose a Broadway theater and I can guarantee there are no more than five stalls in the bathroom did women not go to the toilets when these things were built?

I love to stop in at the pizza counters where you literally rub elbows with your neighbors, jostling up against a construction worker or a dude in a suit as the pizza man shouts Next! Next! and you tip your chin up and say Yeah, gimme two of the plain, and even as he slings your slices in the oven he’s shouting again, Next! Who’s next! and he might sound angry but he’s not, he’s just got a job to do and an endless line of gaping maws to shovel pizza into. Or, at least, he did.

I know NYC will be back, everything will eventually be back somehow and there will be a “new normal.” I don’t want to not live in New York. I want to make plans to meet friends for drinks, I want to score seats at a crowded bar and order a Manhattan or a gin martini, up with a twist, and sip it while I wait for Gabi or Kristen to walk in, sunglasses still on, dripping with tote bags, a huge hug and an approving nod that I have a corner spot for us, a cozy nook where we can trade stories and roll our eyes at the bros in their Patagonia vests as they shout at each other and order more Miller lights. I want to text Jeannette, “Two blocks away!” even though it’s really three, we’re always meeting for dinner at places where everything on the menu sounds horrible but is always delicious, just order the cauliflower with capers and walnuts, don’t think, just do it. I want to cram into the tiny doughnut shop with John, impatiently waiting for the tourists in front of us to decide on the one doughnut they want, those fools, we order 10, then take our boxes north to the park. I want to do that thing where we slip through the knot of people waiting obediently on the corner and press into the street, don’t watch the light, watch the cars, cross as soon as you get a chance we’re not in a hurry at all but we can’t just stand around waiting. I want to go to the library on 42nd Street, I want to dodge the Mickey Mouses and Spidermen and the dance crews on my way there. I want to say “Hold on, sirens,” then mute my phone while an ambulance or a police car fights through traffic for an agonizingly long time, the person on the other end of the line going “Hello? Are you there?” until I can unmute and shout though the noise, “Yeah, I’m here, hold on,” and dodge down a side street, through the smoke of the Nuts 4 Nuts cart and around some homeless dude’s set up and into the relative quiet. I want to linger at the top of the stairs at the 50th Street station and listen for the buzzer that tells me the E train is coming first, I want to go through the turnstiles and have the illuminated sign confidently inform me that two downtown 1 trains are arriving in two minutes, a feat that should be impossible but who knows with the MTA.

But it’s like I’ve stumbled on a hole in the fence, like somebody snipped snipped the wires and now there’s just enough room to wiggle through. I could wait around until somebody else comes by and fixes it, or I could duck down and check out what’s on the other side. There’s so much I haven’t seen, so many things I haven’t done, places I haven’t been, and I can’t help myself: I’ve got to keep moving. I’m not waiting for what used to be to come around again.

My dad took me down to the city to get my bike. We planned the trip carefully, minimizing exposure through deliberate dehydration and stopping only at the garage where there are no people. It took one trip to empty my little cubby out, then one more to bring the bike down and we were off.

The George Washington Bridge has a startlingly picture-perfect view of the city, one I always thrilled to each time I crossed over the Hudson on my way home. This time I had it just in glimpses over my shoulder as I headed west, stealing quick looks, just catching snatches of the skyline before turning north and riding away.


Comments