5/3/19: tis the season


It dawned on me a couple of years ago that “passionate” might a nice way of saying “crazy,” or at least maybe I get described as “passionate” often enough that I have begun to suspect there is a hidden implication. I can’t help it—or, I could, but I don’t want to—there are just certain topics that get my rpms up.

One of those topics is, of course, motorcycling. I pity the fool who, following social norms, politely inquires of me whether I’ve been out on the bike lately, because I will immediately heave my own manners out the window and launch into a monologue that can sometimes only be ended by the other person standing up and leaving and once I didn’t even let THAT stop me because there are some words that are just so delightful to feel in my mouth I will whisper them to myself as I go about my daily chores: gasoline, tires, throttle, gear, lean, engine, my brain in a call and response, let’s go let’s go let’s go.

Anyhoodle, thanks for asking, it is indeed motorcycle season here, FINALLY, though this “spring” continues to be very rainy and so I’ve only been out a couple of times. My very first ride of the year was the also first time I’d been on a bike since I returned the F700 to Kindly Neville in Sydney and holy schnikes I had convinced myself the BMW wasn’t too far off from the S3 but I was wrong. Not even to the light at 10th Avenue and I was immediately starring in my own commercial: The Triumph Street Triple. Accept no substitutes.


I keep my bike in a motorcycle-only garage in a location I cannot disclose as the owner is extremely concerned about security (it’s on 55th between 9th and 10th). One of the bennies of being in that garage is access to an outlet so I can put the battery on a tender and another is a real, fancy, professional-grade air hose so I can wrestle that around and put 10 pounds of pressure into each tire after I left the thing sitting for almost six months and I am only slightly ashamed to say that was the extent of what I did to prepare the bike for entry/exit to the offseason, all hail modern machines!

[Tender, by the way, is another good word: the tender takes care of the battery, it tends to it, but the word also carries connotations of care and kindness and so I like to imagine my battery tender as solicitous, checking in with the battery with every cycle: You okay, buddy? Your levels look good, you feeling good, too? You’ve got lithium in you, battery: you’re gonna live forever! The battery preens under this attention, I imagine, purring softly and snuggling deeper into its nest under the seat, all dark and cozy and sleepy; the steady pulse of the tender creating a low, humming reminder of the power within. I assume everybody else lives in a world of animated inanimate objects: you do, right?]

Tires addressed, on the first day of (my) season, I rolled the bike out of the garage to the sidewalk, turned the key, pulled in the clutch, and damned if it didn’t fire right up. Here is a reason to dislike me and trust me when I say very sincerely I do NOT care: I’ve got an aftermarket exhaust on the bike, which I Single-White-Femlaed from my friend B’s bike, except I had the baffle removed and hot DAMN that thing sounds so good. It’s got a low throaty rumble and the distinctive rhythm of a three-cylinder engine comes through pop pop, pop. I know what it’s like to have the daylights scared out of you on the highway by a bike coming out of nowhere and screaming by, but I’m not that kind of rider and even if I was I guess this is a place where I would get shirty and start making a list of annoying/loud noises that other people are allowed to make and then quickly stop because I Don’t Care What You Think (about my exhaust). Vroom-VROOM it sounds so good maybe go back to figuring out how to set your phone to vibrate when you’re at the freaking philharmonic, SIR.

My first ride of the season was with Michael, happily, and given how many thousands of miles we’ve ridden together it should be no surprise that we picked up as if we have never left off: we discussed several possible destinations but headed out without making a decision, we managed to lose some guys who wanted to ride with us because they were too slow coming out of the parking lot, and once we hit the PIP Michael set his cruise control at 69 mph and then lifted his right hand to give me a wave. I used my left hand to send back a one-fingered salute, and I have often wondered if any people in cars have seen this little ritual and been curious about it. In short, Michael waves with his right hand to show off the fact that he has cruise control and I don’t; I give him the finger in return because I am jealous of the cruise control and also because I would be remiss if I did not protest that he has set it at 69 like he is a twelve-year-old boy instead of an adult man but if motorcycling doesn’t bring out the exuberance, the exhilaration, the sheer unadulterated joy we associate with childhood then we’re doing it wrong.

So we're in our forties, but who cares, we've whipped around the on-ramp and we're at cruising speed now and I'm shooting the bird at my favorite ridding buddy while we're bombing up the Palisades on our way to a day of who-knows-what-awaits adventure. Do it, my brain hollers, and as we pass under an old stone bridge I pull in the clutch and give the throttle a quick vroom-VROOM so I can hear the roar of the exhaust echoing all around me. In a blink we're back in the dappled sunshine, tires humming on pavement, the bike an easy, familiar presence beneath me, reined in but ready, my hand on the throttle and the road ahead curving away, calling back let’s go let’s go let’s go.

x

Comments

  1. Ah, the sound of spring in New York...there’s nothing like it on a bike... your description makes us all feel like we are riding alongside you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment