1/24/19: dine and dash

A lot of people have been speaking to me in Italian, which is sweet of them, and has given me tremendous confidence in my ability to recall all manner of French and Spanish phrases, most of which I had thought were surely lost to the sands of time. (Once, in Paris, I practiced some French in my hotel room, squared my shoulders, walked into the hallway, encountered a person, and said, brightly, “Hola!” Languages: not my thing.) For dinner last night I tried a place just a block away from my hotel as it was rainy and not warm. A review had mentioned that it had a very Brooklyn vibe and holy shit why do I keep going to other countries in order to go to Brooklyn? The waiters were all bearded and wearing suspenders and denim aprons and they were serving these HUGE pieces of meat that came on chopping boards and the décor was all rustic wood and unshaded soft yellow light bulbs and now I really don’t have to go to Brooklyn because I have been twice, last month in Dublin and now here in Florence and so I’m good for like a year.

The waiter talked at me in Italian, then, my blank look perhaps giving me away, seamlessly switched to English the way pretty much everybody here can, except of course me. I paid attention to my context clues and noticed people paid at the counter, using a table number. When I asked my waiter for my number, he was kind enough to bring me the bill. I paid and left a tip (I know, I know—I just can’t not do that) and then I left the restaurant. Not two seconds later a bearded apron-wearing dude in suspenders was chasing me down, “Signora, signora!” When I turned back, thinking I must have left something behind, he was on me: “Did you pay? Did you pay your bill? Did you pay?” Before I could even respond—what?!—my bearded, aproned, suspendered waiter was right behind him and there was a flurry of Italian and then I was waved away, “Okay, okay, bye bye,” and then it hit me: in additional to possibly being mistaken for a native, I can also look like a criminal! A life goal unlocked, for SURE.

But seriously, were I to commit a crime it would hardly be to dine and dash. I have MUCH bigger plans.

I went to the Uffizi on Tuesday and spent five hours walking around with my mouth open. I also remembered how much I hate people, or at least all of the people in the Uffizi on Tuesday morning. It wasn’t super crowded at all, but since we were all funneled in the same direction and the museum is a progression of rooms, I kept getting caught in the middle of these three tour groups. No matter how much I dawdled or sprinted (walked quickly) ahead, inevitably our museum paces would converge and I would be elbowed, bumped, and/or pushed in the crush. I honestly started to wonder if I was dead and no one could see me as that seemed the only possible explanation for how rude everyone was. Have you ever done that thing where you walk up to a doorway and realize there is someone coming through from the other direction and then paused and stepped aside politely to let them go through first? Oh, you have? Well, you and I would have been the only ones familiar with this concept, at least on Tuesday morning in the Uffizi.

I am over it.

I am not over it.

I rented an audio guide because Renaissance art isn’t really my jam and I like learning things, and it was completely worth the five euros because otherwise I would never have noticed this lonely foot.


This torso and this painting were next to each other; the torso is a Roman reproduction (from the “first half of the 1st century AD”) of a Greek sculpture (dated to the “second half of the 5th century BC”) which feels like too much math but in general: old; it was put next to this painting of Venus (from 1490) to demonstrate visually how artists of the Renaissance drew on classical art and wow, okay, yeah—I could totally see that, and also all this was going on even before Columbus headed out and good lord it is weird to be in a country with so much history when the one I come from is not as old as this painting (and by "my country" I mean the one that the people I am descended from lived in, not, you know, the place and the people who were already here when my people starting showing up). 



The Uffizi was built by the Medici family and most of the art is just their regular stuff. The museum has been open to the public since 1769 (again, since before America was a country) and every so often an informative plaque would note a piece had been in the museum’s collection since “at least” 1783 or whatever, the implication being that some dodo fell down on the job sometime before that and lost the ledgers or whatever, or maybe shit got burned up, but whatever happened there is a gap in their records and they are clearly still pissed about it. (Btw the new European data privacy laws are a ridiculous pain the in ass and make doing internet research just non-stop clicking “I agree” or “continue” or selecting boxes to indicate which type of targeted advertising I want and I have no idea how this is supposed to improve the privacy of my data nor can I imagine how almost every website has managed to find a different way to implement the new rules it is dizzying.)

Speaking of dizzying, people around here do like to paint a ceiling and so I spent a lot of time with my head all the way back, staring up, legit wondering how people kept coming up with ideas for stuff to put on the ceiling as they painted SO MANY of them. My favorite example of “Fuck it, just paint SOMETHING” is this caped mer-baby offering a plate of food (?) to a goat.


It was also thanks to my audio guide that I learned the gray paint obscuring certain parts of the ceilings was an indication of damage from bombing raids in World War II and y’all, let’s stop going to war and ruining all the nice things. What if there was something even BETTER than a caped mer-baby offering a plate of something to a goat under there? Stop! Bombing! Things!


At some point in the museum (it was a very long morning) there was an installation of two films which were a commentary on the modern museum experience. They were shot in the Uffizi and it was mortifying to see writ large the same behavior I’d engaged in, often with the same piece, just minutes before. The films were short and had no text, but the point was clear: we’re all just tramping around taking pictures and looking for the best selfie spot and posing for pictures that are meant for social media. The most disturbing part, by far, were two short scenes in which a person was filmed trying to find exactly the right angle or zoom to take a picture of a painting, tapping and pinching away, and then, the second they hit the button, they were instantly turning away, looking for the next thing. I realized I had done exactly the same thing two galleries before: I waited out two tour groups so I could get close enough to this awesome painting so I could get a picture because Judith’s face here is beyond amazing—”Hold STILL, this isn’t fun for me, either,”—and as soon as I hit the button I turned and walked away.


But seriously, her face. !

When I did it, it didn’t feel weird, but when I watched other people do the same thing, I realized how superficial and transactional it looked. All we wanted was proof we had seen the thing; it didn't look like we were really seeing it. After I watched those films I stopped taking pictures for a while because it felt so coarse and rude to do so, but then I decided I wanted more than just the memories in my head so I started again, but it definitely changed how I thought about and experienced the relationship between me, my camera, and where I was/what I was doing in the moment. (And yes, I enjoyed the deliberate irony of taking a picture of the movie about the taking of pictures.)


Post-Uffizi was a go-home-and-lie-down kind of situation, not just because of the horrible people but also SO. MUCH. JESUS. Yesterday, Wednesday, was a get-organized kind of day, and it was rainy and yuck outside so I futzed around with some administrative stuff and did laundry. There is a self-serve laundromat just two doors down from my hotel, and I was pretty chuffed with myself for figuring it all out, losing just one euro in the process (enter the product number BEFORE you insert a euro or your euro will be confiscated as a fine for your idiocy), and the fact that there were instructions in English should not mitigate my accomplishment. A nice young Asian couple came in while I was mid-laundry and I was quite pleased to be able to show them how everything worked so they would not lose their euro the way I did and they kept pressing their hands together and bowing at me and I am only slightly ashamed to say I was definitely digging it. They also double-checked everything with me—their washer cycle wasn’t over until I SAID it was over and how about a bow or two for THAT, thankyouverymuch. Also the smallest bill I had was a 20 and the washer was 4.50 so I got 15.50 euros in change and I do mean change. Why do you have EIGHT coins, Europe? That is too many coins and I know because I am carrying ALL of them around with me.  


Off to the Pitti Palace as today is sunshiney and clear and I am a glutton for being bumped into by people taking selfies with priceless Renaissance art. Don’t forget to flash a peace sign, you jerks! 

x

Comments