12/13/18: grazie

The flight from Rome wasn’t too bad, in no small part because I had an entire three-seat row to myself so I could stretch out and nap. I am afraid I was shameless about hogging it—as soon as the boarding door closed I threw myself into the middle seat and arranged my knitting around me so as to make it clear I was not going to share. I felt badly about it, but not badly enough that I would pass up the chance to get a little space and even a little shut-eye.

I made a note yesterday about how I was just speaking English to everyone in Rome and how they were all speaking English right back. I should be clear that I am extremely cognizant of what a privilege this is, and it is an enormous privilege. Nothing brings that in focus more than the international arrivals area of JFK. The line for passport control was estimated at 30 minutes for US passports and 60 for non-US passports. There was some kind of leak so one of the first sights everyone had was of what I believe were security screening bins lined with garbage bags and it didn’t really get better from there.



The passport scanning area was complete chaos and there was no clear line for anything so we were all just shuffling around while a lady occasionally yelled, “Follow the person in front of you.” There was a woman clutching a piece of paper that said in all caps “PLEASE HELP ME I DON’T SPEAK ANY ENGLISH I ONLY SPEAK PORTUGESE THANKS YOU” and later there was an extremely impatient woman who was ostensibly managing one of the lines but mostly just yelling at people and she cordoned off a handful of people, shouting that they needed a Russian interpreter, then she grabbed another guy by the arm and shouted, “This guy only speaks Hebrew,” which occasioned a bunch of the line-managing people to start yelling “Does anyone speak Hebrew?” which wasn’t a bad bet given the circumstances but didn’t feel like the most appropriate way to get this guy guidance for dealing with immigration. The people who needed interpreters were also being yelled at in English, and while they were just being told stand here/go there/wait here I can only imagine it was baffling at best, especially after a long international flight.

I have whatever is the opposite of a gift for languages, despite wishing fervently I could speak way more than one. I took Spanish while I was teaching at VCU since faculty could take a class or two each semester for free and while I was super optimistic about my chances I ended up being very grateful that one of my students was in my class so I could copy her homework. The experience was traumatic enough that while I have forgotten dozens of former students, I can still picture Jessie today, frowning at me in disappointment as we sat on the floor in the hallway outside of our classroom while I compared my workbook to hers and realized, yet again, that I had no idea what I was doing.

After an hour in line to have an immigration lady look at me and wave me through without a word, I made my way to the Air Train and lo and behold there was a couple there who were confused as to where to go. I heard the man say, “Oh, there’s someone to ask,” and then watched him realize no, there is no one to ask, and given that they were speaking in English I figured I might have a shot at helping out so I did. They needed to go to Penn Station so I got them on the right Air Train (Jamaica, not Howard Beach) with me and then suggested they might take the LIRR instead of the subway and they were so tired they were glad to spend an extra few bucks to shorten their trip. I made the mistake of saying that the LIRR would also be nicer than the subway, which is true but also calls into stark relief how not-nice the subway can be since the LIRR isn’t exactly glamourous. Still, I felt better for putting them on the LIRR when I boarded the E and landed in a car with someone who appeared to live there. Then I came home to find a host of lovely gifts from my cousins who had stayed the weekend in my apartment, as well as a beautiful poinsettia from my cleaning lady, and if you think I am going to bed immediately you are correct, but I will be doing so with tremendous gratitude for all that me and mine have.

All in all, the past couple of months have been, I keep saying, just ridiculously wonderful and I have been humbled over and over again to get the chance to see how the world works outside of my tiny little bubble. I don’t know exactly what’s next, but I do know I’m going to redouble my efforts at learning—and saying—merci/gracias/grazie and all the other words I can for thank you.

Comments