12/12/18: a coin in the fountain


So Brandy was right, as should be expected as she is the professional and I the very amateur. I went to see her right before I left for New Zealand and after I broke the news of the trip (“Rad!” she kept saying, which is not just her favorite word but also an excellent word to describe her), we looked at each other in the mirror, her hands on the back of my chair, and I said, “Brandy, I’m going to say a word. And it’s going to be a crazy word.” There was a pause as we looked at each other, Brandy smiling, me serious, and then we spoke at the exact same moment: I said, “Bangs” and she said, “Mullet!”

Brandy clearly has a greater appetite for adventure than I do and to be clear: I don’t think she was right about the mullet, but about the bangs. At first I loved them and now…now I go about with a bobby pin on the top of my head.

The Galleria Borghese was completely overwhelming, not least because some nut job had come up with the idea of a temporary installation presenting a rather substantial collection of Picasso’s sculpture in the galleries. I think they were meant to be in conversation with the permanent collection but—no offense, Pablo—it was not Picasso I came to see. I do love his pregnant goat (she was there!) the rest of it was mainly a distraction.  



I know a fellow who is a huge Bernini fan (and not a fan of the “stupid Picasso goat”), and the Borghese is practically overflowing with Bernini. Rodin will always be first in the sculpture-related part of my heart, but I gotta hand it to Gian Lorenzo: he was pretty handy with the marble. This gentleman is Pluto and the lady he is clutching is Proserpina and while this is not exactly a love story the fact that Bernini was just 23 when he carved this does indeed make me wonder how in the heck anyone can be so brave as to make the first cut into a block of marble. Maybe it’s my intention tremor talking but yeesh I would be so terrified to mess it up.



I did gasp (quietly) out loud when I saw David’s face, but in the end it was Apollo and Daphne that won the day for me.



This museum admits people for just two hour blocks, much like the old game show Supermarket Sweep, and while I was required to check my bag (including my wallet AND my knitting), I was not allowed to check my coat. At some point I had seen a sign that photography was allowed but then I was chastised by two different guards so I felt very much the American tourist bumbling around and breaking all the rules. Here is where I may as well confess I’ve just been speaking English to everyone. Sometimes I try to start with “Buongiorno” or “Buena sera” and I definitely sprinkle in plenty of poorly pronounced “Grazies” but after that I just assume English is gonna work and, well, it does.

There were wild parrots in the park, which was excellent, and apparently the Borgheses took as their symbol an eagle on top of a dragon which seems a little overkill but made for some excellent statuary. 



I took some euros out of the ATM and was furious to be given 50s. At dinner last night (a salad, unbelievably delicious cacio e pepe pasta, and a quarter carafe of wine), the bill came to “one four” euros and I had to give the nice lady a fifty. She came back with two twenties and a shrug and so it was up to me to scrounge up the change to make up the four, which, luckily, I did have a five on me so that worked out but who DOES that?

I went to a da Vinci museum today and it was very interesting as a group of da Vinci scholars/artisans had created models of many of his inventions and most of them you could interact with which was really cool. There were also several video stories and the one about the horse statute in particular moved me—da Vinci spent sixteen years trying to figure out how to make this four-times-life-sized statue of a horse and got so far as building the…thing the clay mold could be made from but then there was a war or something and some French soldiers ended up using the giant clay horse for target practice and now we don’t have a giant horse statue. Da Vinci also said “Art is never finished, just abandoned,” and I cannot decide whether I vehemently disagree or reluctantly agree.

Tonight is, yikes, my last night in Rome. I hauled my aging carapace up to the Janiculum Terrace late this afternoon and the views were exactly as promised. You are welcome that I am not sharing all of the grainy, poorly framed pictures I took, but imagine looking down on the sprawl of the city and the lights going up along the hills around it and then crossing the street to look north and see the [murmur murmur something famous—St. Peter’s?] dome, all the while scooters blowing by at top speed, and you know a bowl of cacio e pepe and a glass or two of wine await you after you’ve climbed back down and crossed over the Tibur to get home.


“Home,” by the way, has been the extremely excellent River Palace Hotel. I know it is called the River Palace Hotel because they ponied up for the premiere package and everything is embossed or embroidered with the name. In my room alone, these are the things that say River Palace Hotel: the bed pillows (in gold on white, naturally), the bath towels (same), the bath mat, the bathrobes, the slippers, the little paper hats that go on the coffee mugs and water glasses, the napkins, the paper wrappers around the fresh rolls of toilet paper, and the headboard of the bed. I’m probably missing something but already the effect is dizzying. My room is also decorated so lavishly and colorfully that I feel like a proper Roman and once I get comfortable with this toga I expect I will go ahead and commission a couple busts of myself I can send as holiday cards. Hope you have a niche ready for me!

Pictures!

This is absolutely how I would insist on being painted, with my favorite duck. 


This is a Bernini and the Italian description was a little hard to decipher but I'm pretty sure it is a guy carrying his dad and his dad is carrying his doll house. You do you, pal.


This is how I pictured myself looking at the guy with his dad with the doll house.



I should have mentioned this earlier, but the River Palace Hotel FINALLY had REAL, DECENT coffee. This is exactly how I felt when I found out. 



Love that this guy is calling his shot; wish he had considered "pants" before showing up for the game. 


Whatever you are offering, I am a hard pass, but thank you!


This is every teacher at the end of the semester: IT WAS IN THE BOOK.


And yes, I absolutely snuck around the crowds to a little side staircase so I could throw my coin in the fountain which, I am closing my eyes and believing, means I will absolutely be back to Rome. What's life without a little leap here and again? :)

x

Comments