11/27/18: it is over, part I

Put my head down and made the run from Port MacQuarie to Sydney today, arriving back at BikeRoundOz just after 3 pm. Had a nice chat with Neville and he was kind enough to provide photographic evidence that I am safely landed and the bike is returned.

(FYI, you can TOTALLY see the swelling from the bee sting on the side of my neck, if you have a microscope and are willing to brave a close look at an exhausted forty-two-year-old woman who has just ridden 5,313 miles* around New Zealand and Australia obsessively stalking ALL the wildlife and yet--YET--never seen an actual kangaroo. SOB!)



Confirmation that some kind of benevolent spirit has been looking out for me, tomorrow is forecast for 2-3 inches of rain in Sydney, with high winds and etc. I am not ashamed to say I may end up spending the entire day in bed as I am EX-HAUS-TED. Flight home on Thursday. Still can't believe this happened or that it’s almost over.

Celebrating with a cocktail—being a bartender does not guarantee photography skills as I specifically asked him to get the neck swelling. SIGH. (Update: my father was like "Nice bar," and I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic. It was better than it looks, I swear--the peeling paint was part of an overall aesthetic.)



*3,299 miles (5,310 km) in Australia, 2,014 miles (3,241 km) in New Zealand = 5,313 miles/8,551 km** and I have never ONCE washed my jacket, gloves, or overpants. Who wants to sit next to me on a 21-hour flight home????

**I know because I've tracked all fill-ups with my beloved mileage keeper app! Gas is so much more expensive in NZ that I spent only thirty more AustraliaBucks on gas here than I did there. And if you thought I was close to being out of fun facts...THINK AGAIN.

x

Comments

  1. If you rode from Vancouver, eh, all the way to the Panama Canal you would still be 270 miles short of 5,313. Is that even right?! My heavens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yo i am sworn off doing math but that sounds like a long way indeed! and honestly i hear the panana canal is overrated--may as well just stay in vancouver.

      Delete
  2. Also what have I done with my life in the last month that I haven’t ridden from Vancouver to the Panama Canal?!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment